Saturday, April 14, 2007
Cancer
I've been waiting to write this post until all family members knew the situation, and did not read it here on the blog.

On March 5th, I took my Mom for a routine colonoscopy. During her recovery, her gastroenterologist came in to tell us there was bad news. They found a cancerous tumor and diagnosed here with colorectal cancer. Talk about a kick in your gut feeling. That just came out from left field. Luckily, the best colorectal surgeon for our area was also at the surgery center with another patient and saw the tumor first hand and had a biopsy done.

One week later, we met with the surgeon. He may be the best in town, but he lacks the warm fuzzy bedside manor. My brother went with us for this visit, and I swear I thought he was going to pass out. On one side of me was my Mom, shaking. On the other side was my brother with beads of sweat on his forehead and looking white as ghost fixing to pass out. The news wasn't the best - the tumor is large and in the rectal area. Apparently, the lower the tumor does not mean the better the situation. Because of it's location, he recommended chemotherapy and radiation for 6 weeks to try and shrink the tumor before surgery. This gives us a better chance to save her rectum so she will not have to wear a colostomy bag the rest of her live. She will have to wear a temporary bag for 8 weeks post surgery to give the area time to heal.

Since March, we have visited oncologist and radiation therapist. She's had 3 CAT scans, 1 ultrasound, and had her port put in for her chemo treatments. One good thing, is that she has qualified for a cancer study. She will have radiation treatments 5 days a week for 6 weeks. She will go for a 1 hour chemo treatment on Mondays, and wear a continuous pump with a different chemo treatment for 5 days at home for 6 weeks. After 6 weeks, they will re-evaluate her tumor to see if it has shrunk small enough to remove without having to take out too much of her rectal area. Another good thing, is that it does not look like it has spread to her lymph nodes or through the colon wall.

The one thing is that there's a 50% chance my brother or myself will develop colorectal cancer since it is hereditary. I will need to schedule a colonoscopy within the next year for a screening of polyps, and my brother will need one in 5 years. If you stay on top of your screenings, this cancer is highly preventable. Please if you have a family history of colorectal cancer or if you are over the age of 50, please talk to your physician about scheduling a screening.

In the meantime, the chemo and radiation treatments will start this Monday 4/16. Times are going to be rough and trying. My Mom lives alone so I will be helping her as much as possible so she can stay in her own home - you know how when you feel bad "there's no place like home".
Today we are going to try on wigs and get that out of the way while she is still feeling good. We've been told that she may not loose her hair, but it will get very thin. The other side effect will be massive diarrhea. The nurse said that it would not be uncommon to take up to 14 Imodium a day (sorry to gross anyone out).

Please keep my Mom in your prayers that everything will turn out the way it should.
3 Comments:
Blogger Rhonda said...
I am so sorry to hear about your Mom's news. She is certainly in my prayers.

Blogger kate said...
Prayers for your mom and for you as you support her.

Blogger Suzanne said...
delurking to say that I am so sorry. How are things going?